Methodology for hunting planning based on the impact of game on the forest
The newly proposed methodology (CZ) allows the calculation of a hunting plan with the aim of gradually achieving game numbers that do not cause more than sustainable damage to the forest and its functions. For further information, see the news from 22 June 2022.
Field instuctions of the Czech NFI3
For download we offer The instructions of the Czech NFI3 (2016-220) field data collection (CZ). These instructions will often be referenced from upcoming NFI3 results publications.
Growing stock in 2019
ÚHÚL prepared and offers to download a technical report (CZ) containing the results of updated estimates regarding the growing stock in 2019. The analysis updates and deepens the previously published information regarding the growing stock in the Czech Republic, see the news from 13 March 2020.
A book with the results of the Czech NFI second cycle (2011–2015)
The electronic version (pdf, 80 MB) is available online (CZ).
A conference called A century of national forest inventories – informing past, present and future decisions
took place from 19 to 23 May 2019 in Sundvolden, Norway. At this conference, a presentation of Scalable pan-European model-assisted biomass estimation was delivered. It introduced a concept of statistical evaluation and the nFIESTA information system.
The Diabolo project
The Czech NFI experts participated in the H2020 Diabolo project and this final report is one of its outputs. The report deals with estimation methodology, the nFIESTA information system and a pilot study focused on the estimation of forest parameters in large areas, e.g. the whole of Europe.
The NFI 2019 calendar
- January – Above-ground biomass and carbon content (CZ)
- February – Forest roads (CZ)
- March – Pools and marshes (CZ)
- April – Watercourses (CZ)
- May – Rare woody species (CZ)
- June – Rubbish (CZ)
- July – Properties of Tourist Board (CZ)
- August – Forest regeneration (CZ)
- September – Forest structure (CZ)
- October – Gamekeeping equipment (CZ)
- November – Damage by game in forests (CZ)
- December – Change in percentages of woody species groups (CZ)
Appendices of the Lesnická práce (Forestry Work) magazine
- December 2016 – 12. Biomass (CZ)
- November 2016 – 11. Damage caused by game (CZ)
- October 2016 – 10. Dead wood (CZ)
- September 2016 – 9. Forest regeneration (CZ)
- July 2016 – 8. Age structure (CZ)
- June 2016 – 7.Woody species composition (CZ)
- May 2016 – 6. Change in growing stock (CZ)
- April 2016 – 5. Stem mortality (CZ)
- March 2016 – 4. Wood increment (CZ)
- February 2016 – 3. Felling (CZ)
- January 2016 – 2. Growing stock (CZ)
- December 2015 – 1. Forest area (CZ)
XIX Conference of Foresters – Hradec Králové, 9 November 2016
The unpublished results of the second National Forest Inventory cycle were presented at this conference. Presentations are available to download here in the Czech language.
- NFI2 course evaluation and NFI2 data usage possibilities (M. Kučera)
- Updated NFI2 outputs – Forest Management (Stock, Felling, Increment) (R. Adolt)
- NFI2 outputs – Woody species composition and the age structure of forests (M. Kučera)
- NFI2 outputs – Forest regeneration (R. Adolt)
- NFI2 outputs – Dead wood (M. Kučera)
- NFI2 outputs – Damage caused by game (R. Adolt)
- Continuous forest ecosystem state – project course, changes to NFI2, NFI3 preparations (M. Kučera)
- Possibilities of NFI data usage for Forest Management Plans (R. Adolt)
The 2nd International Workshop on Forest Inventory Statistics
The workshop was organised by ÚHÚL Brandýs nad Labem in collaboration with the Swiss WSL in Kroměříž, 24–26 May 2016. Workshop proceedings are available for download.
Presentations of workshop participants:
- Workshop opening, Activities of Forest Management Institute (J Vašíček)
- Presentation of the project Sharing and exchange of methodologies in National Forest Inventory – „NFI exchange“ (M. Pospíšil)
- The third Italian National Forest Inventory (P. Gasparini)
- Efforts to improve the NFI in Poland (A. Talarczyk)
- The sampling and estimation methods of the Romanian NFI (O. Bouriaud)
- The national forest inventory in the republic of Bulgaria – a recognized need (S. M. Todorov)
- Increasing Bulgaria’s National Forest Inventory Capacity (M. McDonagh)
- The German NFI – upcoming methodological and technological issues (S. Klatt)
- FAO support to national forest monitoring and the Open Foris initiative (D. Morales-Hidalgo)
- Repeated application of an upper diameter model (A. Berger)
- Domain estimation and poststratification in national forest inventory (A. Lanz)
- A new variance estimator for spatially restricted sampling designs (R. Adolt)
- A functional regression model for inventories supported by aerial laser scanner data or photogrammetric point clouds (S. Magnussen)
- The estimation of periodic volume increment from permanent inventories with pps-sampling design (G. Kändler)
- Processing and analysis of national forest inventory data – insights into the current Swiss and Czech systems (B. Traub, I. Kohn)
- Individual tree crown projection area models based on data from the National Forest Inventory of the Czech Republic (K. Drápela)
GISLZE 2016 – Brno, February 2016
ÚHÚL experts spoke on the following topics at the conference entitled Practical Use of GIS in Forestry and Agriculture:
- Detection of tree felling by remote sensing (CZ) (F. Hájek)
- Photogrammetric-interpretation quality check in NFI2 (CZ) (O. Tomančák)
XVIII Conference of Foresters – Hradec Králové, November 2015
- Single proceedings in the Czech language were issued from the conference on the National Forest Inventory.
Meeting held in connection with the 80th anniversary of ÚHÚL – Brandýs n. L., October 2015
The presentations from four presenters in the Czech language are summarised below:
- National Forest Inventory in the Czech Republic from a broader perspective (M. Kučera)
- Methodological principles of NFI (R. Adolt)
- The use of aerial photographs in NFI2 (F. Hájek)
- First results of NFI2 (J. Vašíček)
A lecture on the NFI at the Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology (Mendel University in Brno) – Brno, April 2015
The presentations of two speakers in the Czech language are summarized below:
- General lecture on the National Forest Inventory in the Czech Republic (M. Kučera)
- Lecture on the NFI methodology (R. Adolt)
WSL conference – Birmensdorf, March 2015
Radim Adolt presented the paper dealing with methodology of NFI estimations.
ForestSAT conference – Riva del Garda, November 2014
Two Czech speakers took part at the conference.
- Automated production of forestry thematic maps – a concept of remotely sensed data fusion in the Czech NFI2 (F. Hájek)
- Using auxiliary data to improve accuracy of NFI parameter estimates (R. Adolt).
A lecture on the NFI at the Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology (Mendel University in Brno) – Brno, April 2014
Radim Adolt lectured on the NFI (CZ).
A Sensible Forest Policy – Kroměříž, April 2014
At the conference held to the 120th anniversary of the foundation of the Archbishop Forest Management Office in Kroměříž, R. Adolt had a general lecture on the National Forest Inventory in the Czech Republic. This presentation can be downoaded from the poster, which was the outline of the whole presentation (CZ).
Trade Fair Silva Regina – BVV Brno, April 2014
R. Adolt presented methodological principles of the National Forest Inventory (CZ) at the largest fair in the Czech Republic.
Sampling methods in forest and land inventory – Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology (Mendel University in Brno), January 2014
Radim Adolt took part at the summer course and the themes of his presentations in the Czech language are summarised below:
- General presentation about the NFI and information about Czech forests
- Methodical presentation about local density approximation
- Methodical presentation about NFI one phase estimations
Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology (Mendel University in Brno), December 2013
Filip Hájek presented the contribution about the usage of photogrammetry and remote sensing in the NFI for the LANDTEAM project.
USEWOOD training school – Dublin, September 2013
In the terms of the project USEWOOD Radim Adolt spoke about the possiblities of statistical evaluation within NFIs. The presentations are displayed below:
ForestSAT conference – Lugo, September 2010
Radim Adolt and Filip Hájek introduced the poster about the improvement of forest area estimation with additional layers from remote sensing.
The following documents on the NFI methodology and results are free to download and distribute. You can also find here presentations from various events attended by NFI members.